Friday, March 12, 2010

The house is quiet. All my children are tucked into their beds. Darren is at work. I can faintly hear the sounds of Odyssey playing in my children’s bedrooms as they drift off to sleep to (hopefully) dream peaceful dreams. I am alone. It is a strange sensation. While laundry is ever waiting, homework needs correcting, notes should be written; I have decided instead to put a few thoughts into words during this brief interlude from the routine demands of my days.

The sensation of being alone….of actually being aware of the lack of sounds of daily living…the absence of energy of 8 children is strangely surreal. Tonight, as I went around to their beds to give kisses, hugs and pray over the children I was so aware that 371 days ago we did not know each other beyond telephone, snail mail, or emails. When I think of what God has done in 371 short days I am overwhelmed. You may think that is foolish considering what He created in just 7 days at the dawn of time. The thing is that this is my life….my tangible reality. And I stand AMAZED! As I reflect on the way that God has knit our ten hearts together in this past year I feel that there aren’t words fine enough to describe what has taken place. Truly, the Hill and Isherwood families merging into one is reason to praise the Lord!

Our days are so full! It seems that from the moment we put our feet on the floor we go and do and the next thing we know we are crawling back into bed to rest quickly before starting all over again. It is the most rewarding, exhausting, scary, thrilling, dramatic day-to-day life I could have imagined. As newlyweds, Darren and I are still learning each other…still studying one another….not always sure how the other will respond to certain situations. While it is our goal to never stop studying one another, we sure feel the “amnesia” that occurs when we miscue or encounter a new scenario. Karen would have known this….Scott would have known that. Then we realize: oh, yes, this person who is now my other half doesn’t know what happened to me when I was six that made me deathly afraid of dogs nor do I fully understand how he came to dislike surprises and sandwiches. The thousands of little details that make up who we have become are shared in stolen snippets of time in between pouring our hearts into raising eight straight flying arrows, working and maintaining our home and relationships. It is an unusual beginning to be sure…..sometimes frustrating, sometimes hurtful, sometimes funny, sometimes touching….but always interesting! I feel so blessed to call Darren my husband, father of my children, my other half, my best friend. We laugh, we cry, we rage, we plan, we worry, we wonder…and we do it together! The fullness of our life together abundantly overflows in stark contrast to the deep and agonizing emptiness of widow/widower hood. Psalm 9:1 reads: “I will praise thee, O Lord, with my whole heart; I will show forth all thy marvelous works.” As we head into another year-long set of seasons together we hope to share with you all the He has done and is doing. Together, we will Praise Him!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wonderful to read your latest writing...thanks for sharing! Sounds like life is excitingly wonderful!

Love to each and every one of you...all the way from Alaska!

<3 ~Leslie & the rest of the AK Crew