Sunday, October 25, 2009

It’s been a while since our last posting so we’d thought it be fun to answer a couple of the most asked questions, “How do you feed all those people?” and “Where do they sit?”

This is just a portion of our 2 week grocery list (on average):
· 12 loaves of bread
· 8 gallons of milk
· 12 quarts of juice
· 3 jars of jam
· 3 dozen eggs
· 4 pounds of cheese
· 3 pounds of deli meat
· 2 pounds of bacon
· 4 packages of bagels
· 4 boxes of cereal
· 6 pounds of butter
· 6 heads of lettuce
· 3 jars of Applesauce
· 6 pounds of bananas
· 4 large containers of yogurt
· And the list goes on!!!

Yes, shopping for a family of 10 people (especially ravenous growing children) is a whole new experience for me! Cooking for 10 people is fun and rewarding. I really love cooking with the children and, thankfully, they all seem to enjoy cooking with me. I have found that keeping the pantry shelves stocked for our large family is truly a much more challenging job! I am learning how to navigate grocery market sales and coupon websites like never before. Menu planning is absolutely essential and fun for me to do with the children. I am especially pleased when I end up having what the children call an “All Like Day”. As you may have guessed, this is when everyone in the house actually likes all three meals of the day!!! I must confess that “linner” days are my favorite. What’s that mean? It is the day when we have breakfast and a late afternoon/early evening meal. (ie. Lunch + Dinner = Linner) Obviously, having two meals to prepare is much simpler but the real reason “Linner Days” are my favorite is because these only occur on Darren’s days off from work. So, a “Linner Day” means we get the King home with us all day and that is what we all enjoy the most!

I thought you might enjoy the picture of our large dining room table. This table is amazing! Made by the Amish, it is solid and finely crafted. Truly, it is a work of art. With four benches and four chairs, we have room for at least 16 adult people at our table. We are so blessed by this table because not only can we easily have company over but each child also has plenty of growing room! This table has already seen a lot of memories being made. We are laughing, learning, crying, praying, dreaming and doing conflict resolution at this table. If you come to visit us for any length of time, plan to make your way around the table as each of the children will want a chance to sit with you! If you get confused as to where to sit, don’t worry the children always know whose turn is next!
Truly, my cup overflows. I praise God for His faithfulness. Thank you for sharing in our journey. Until next time……

7 comments:

Tara said...

Hey Melissa, we love and miss you! Your guys' table is absolutely beautiful. I would have never guess you would have found one that big. Good job. Haha. You are all in my prayers daily. And I thought my grocery bill was big. WOW. Send us an email sometime DLBRASSLETT@aol.com (Mine and Dans) or tbrasslett@gmail.com (Tara's--she checks it daily). The wedding was absolutely beautiful and I loved meeting your new family. I can't wait until you're all up again so Dan can meet everyone (he misses those kids so much). Loves Hugs and Kisses. We miss you.
Love, Lisa (as typed by Tara-- Haha.)

Unknown said...

Another hello from MAINE!!!!
Thanks for an updated post... I check it often. :) I will email you soon w/ our change of life... Praying for you here too. Miss you all.

Anonymous said...

Greetings, and lots of love and hugs, from Alaska!

Thanks for the update...love hearing how God is blessing you all!

Just so you know...I plan to, one day, make my way to that table...consider this your 'fair warning'...haha ;-)

We miss you all and hope this finds you doing well...we're gearing up for winter around here. The snow has yet to make it to town...and stick...for this I am thankful...not quite ready to give up my flip-flops...yet! LOL

Our high temps are in the 20s and lows around 10 now, and for the next week or so...Brrr! However, on the positive side, at least these temps are ABOVE ZERO! : )

Give our love to each of the children and know we send it to you and Darren as well.

Hugs!
♥ Leslie (and the AK Crew)

Anonymous said...

Cool table!! I love it! Thanks for posting~tammyp

Anonymous said...

Meant to tell you...I can SOOO relate to your (partial) grocery list! Looks like mine! ;-) Go figure! :P

♥ Leslie

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you all as you celebrate your first Christmas together as a family! I can't imagine trying to plan, shop, and cook for Christmas for ten (but at least you have the table for it)! The best gift is that God sent His Son Jesus! Have a blessed Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Hope ya'll had a lovely first Christmas together and a blessed New Year.....
Cindy