Saturday, March 27, 2010

From 4 to 14 ... Wow that was fast ... too fast ... way too fast!!



Today, J.D., our oldest son, started in his first ever “real” baseball game. I wasn’t able to be there for the first pitch but I did arrive just as J.D. was coming up to the plate for the first time. He kept is eye on the ball and only missed the ball once. He kept fouling it off and on one of those swings the ball found the top of his left hand. Not wanting to be the overbearing, overprotective parent I strolled over to the fence where I clear could see his hand immediately swelling and changing colors. I then strolled (a little faster now) over to the concession stand to get a bag of ice to put on his hand.


When the inning ended, the coach kept J.D. off the field. As the next inning came to a close the coach motioned me over. J.D.’s hand wasn’t looking any better and was continuing to swell. We decided the game was over for him and it would be best to get an xray of his hand to make certain no bones were broken.


When we reached the van, he wasn’t able to untie his cleats so he asked for my help (yes! he still needs me!!). When he sat down I bent to untie his shoes and I had to choke back the swell of emotion that came upon me. Here before me was a young man, where my little boy once sat. Blinking hard to keep the tears at bay I began untying and smiled at the size of his shoes; sIze 14 the same as his age. Immediately I could see in my minds eye me picking him up and placing him on the counter in our kitchen to tie his shoes before he went outside. Shoes not bigger than the palm of my hand....then just as quickly I’m snapped out of memory lane by a “Thanks Dad” as I slid off his cleats.


Arriving at the hospital brought back many memories. While looking for a space to park I was now back to July of 1995. It was late afternoon as a 23 year old boy arrived in the same parking lot looking for a space near the door because his wife refused to be dropped at the door insisting instead to walk whatever distance was necessary by his side, because we were in “this” together. The “this” was the birth of J.D. at 10:56 pm, weighing just 6 pounds, 9.8 ounces, 19 and 3 quarter inches long.


After I got him checked in, he stepped into the bathroom and I sat down quickly entering memory lane again. So many memories, such a range of emotion I find it impossible to put them to words.


Before J.D. had come out of the bathroom Melissa arrived to “tag out” with me so I could head to work. As I looked at her it was clear she had been crying. I realized again how blessed I am, abundantly blessed. I’m delighted to have her by my side to share my life and overwhelmed that God would give me two women who love me with all them have and J.D. a second mother to worry over him and what is more important pray over him.


God is good all the time.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

God is good! It is amazing watching these little boys grow into young men. It seems like we have skipped some time in there somewhere. I remember Karen pregnant with J.D. and the excitement I had the night she went into labor with him. The picture of J.D. as a calm little baby is so fresh in my mind. Yes, it has gone by way too fast. I praise the Lord for the precious gifts He has given you in Melissa and three more children.
Hopefully JD's next game will be less painful. :)
In Him,
Rebekah Miller

Anonymous said...

I've been so glad to see new blogs from you recently! It's amazing to see how God is knitting your families together into one. Please keep the beautiful stories coming. You all inspire me to love my family more!

Anonymous said...

Darren,

Pretty sure that you should be required to mail boxes of Kleenex to Alaska, if you're gonna insist on writing posts that make me cry. Just sayin'...

Amazing how quickly all of our children have grown up. And yet...we're STILL so YOUNG! :P

Love to all of you from the AK Crew!
♥ ~Leslie

Jules said...

Hope all is well - been quite a while since an update!

Titus 2 Thandi said...

Hoping all is well...